Blog Details


Canada intra-company transfer work permit visa; what you need to know

Canada Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) Work Permit provides an opportunity for foreign employees to work in Canada as temporary residents. This work permit can be secured by eligible workers employed by an international company that has its subsidiaries, branch, or affiliate company, located in Canada. The ICT work permit visa is designed to facilitate the transfers of such skilled workers into the Canadian company which can either be a start-up or an established business.

Requirements for ICT Work Permit

To be eligible for the ICT Work Permit both the employee and the company must meet certain eligibility criteria.

  1. To be a qualified employee, an applicant must be a current employee of a foreign company that is transferring such employees to their affiliate, branch, or subsidiary in Canada.
  2. An employee must have been hired in a full-time capacity with the foreign company and must have worked for at least a minimum of 1 year within 3 years before ICT application.
  3. The employee must be employed and transferred to an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity position.
  4. The Canadian Company must have a qualifying relationship with the foreign company in which the employee is currently employed.

Duration of  ICT Work Permit

The initial duration of the ICT work permit is 1 year for start-ups and a maximum of 3 years for an established business. ICT work permit visa can be extended or renewed as long as:

      there is a provision of evidence that the Canadian and foreign companies have a qualifying relationship;

      the Canadian office has been involved in the non-stop provision of goods and services for the past year;

      The Canadian office has been staffed.

Advantages of ICT Work Permit

      One major advantage of the Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit is that it does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

      Also, after one year of working in Canada, the applicant can use the Canadian work experience to apply for permanent residence.


The ICT work permit is a close work permit, meaning that the employee can only work for the Canadian company that hired the employee. However, if the employee is married, the spouse will be able to apply for an open work permit.


Need Professional Help?

To learn more about the program, your eligibility and how to incorporate your business in Canada as a subsidiary company, contact Discovery Law Firm for professional guidance. At Discovery Law Firm, we offer Canadian Immigration, Business and Real Estate legal services.

To book your consultation, email: or phone +1 289 206 9160.


Disclaimer: This information should not be taken as legal advice. Contact us to speak with a Lawyer.

Be the first to comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked